Dear B2R Band Families,
You may have received a registration link to register for Bach to Rock's 2020 Battle of the Bands. Kindly disregard the registration email sent this morning. At Bach to Rock, we believe the health and safety of our students and families are of greatest importance.
It is with this in mind that we have decided to cancel our 2020 Battle of the Bands for Maryland and Virginia at the Tally Ho and AMP by Strathmore on June 14 and 21.
We are constantly evaluating the impact of the situation and will be in touch as the situation evolves with upcoming performance opportunities.
Battle of the Bands Info
Dear B2R Band Families,
Maryland Elementary, Middle & High School
Virginia Elementary, Middle & High School
- All bands may perform up to 8 minutes; a penalty of 1 point for every 15 seconds over the time limit will be deducted from the bands total score.
- Two points will be awarded for an original song, with a maximum of 2 points awarded in this category per band.
- Every child must be present and arrive at their specified time. Bands that are not present when called will not be able to perform. Bands missing a member will have the option to perform without that member or forfeit their opportunity to perform. No exceptions!
- For each state, there will be 1 winner and 2 runner ups in each of the three divisions
- The division a band will perform in is determined by average age of band members:
Elementary School Division: Ages 0-11
Middle School Division: Ages 12-14
High School Division: Ages 15+
- All competing band members must be enrolled and in good standing in the B2R Rock Band program at the time of both registration and the Battle of the Bands.
- All participating band members MUST submit a completed registration form by the specified deadlines. No late registrations will be accepted.
- If a member of the band cannot participate, the band may perform without that member, but no replacements are permitted.
- Band names cannot be changed after the registration deadline.
- Song selection is final and must be submitted before the registration deadline.
- No explicit language is to be used in songs. All explicit lyrics must be changed. Use of explicit language will result in disqualification.
- All band members are expected to follow student conduct rules as outlined in the B2R Policy Handbook.
- Order of bands will be picked at random, please do not request a specific time as we cannot accommodate.
- I hereby give Bach to Rock (B2R) the absolute right and unrestricted permission to obtain, copyright use, publish and reuse and republish photographic pictures, recordings, videos or portraits made of my child, in any media and for the purposes of advertising, promoting and increasing awareness of Bach to Rock.
- I release and agree to hold harmless the schools and the photographer, their representatives and assigns, acting with their permission, including any firm publishing or distributing the finished product for the purpose noted in paragraph one, above, even though the finished product may be distorted, blurred, altered, or used in composite form, either intentionally, or otherwise.
- I waive any right to approve the finished photograph or any copy which might be used in conjunction with the finished photograph, recording, or video.
- Please be advised that on the date(s) of the Battle of the Bands, representatives of B2R may be filming. As a willing participant at this event, your appearance may be recorded and used in future video productions which may or may not include television broadcasts or other public exhibitions.
- B2R is not liable for any personal injury, or property damage arising as a result of student’s participation in the Battle of the Bands.
- I have read and understand attached rules and regulations. I understand that failure to comply may result in disqualification of the band from the competition.
What time should I be there?
Check in times TBA
What if I’m not sure on what division my student is in?
Each band is placed in a division depending on the average age of all the students within the band. The band confirmation email that you received after all members of your student’s band completed registration tells you what division your student band is placed in. You can also ask your student’s teacher, B2R site director or administrative staff for clarification.
How much is admission?
Admission is $5 cash per person. Students performing and children 7 & under are not charged admission.
Will there be food?
Tally Ho will be serving food according to their menu and kitchen hours. Please contact the venue for more info. AMP will not have any concessions but water will be available.
Can we leave and come back?
Re-entry will adhere to each venue's policies. Please contact them for more info.
Do I have to stay all day?
No, we recommend you stay for the duration of the division that your student is performing in (roughly 3-3.5 hours total). This way you show support to all bands performing and are able to be present during announcement of awards at the end of the production.
When will awards be announced?
Awards will be announced at the end of the division after all the bands have performed.
Why do the bands sometimes play out of order or skip bands all together?
The B2R staff strives to follow the posted schedule as closely as possible but sometimes unforeseen circumstances happen outside of our control. Bands drop out at the last minute, a student might get sick or not show up at all it can be disappointing to all that attend. But the show must go on!
How do I participate during the event?
Participate by clapping, cheering, and dancing during student performances to show your support. You can also participate by uploading pictures from your smart phone to your local B2R’s Facebook page.
How do we prepare for the event?
We encourage all students to attend every lesson they have scheduled. In addition to the lessons every student should be practicing regularly.
What are the prizes?
1st place bands win 4 hours of B2R studio time and Runner Up bands receive 2 hours of studio time. Both 1st place and Runner Up bands receive plaques and will be immortalized by being featured in a plaque at their B2R school’s Wall of Fame. Their performance will also be posted on B2R’s website on the Wall of Fame located here. Additional prizes may be donated by local businesses and will be given to winners and runners up if donations are received.
How are the winners determined?
We recruit judges that have an extensive musical background and that are actively involved in the local music scene. They use the judging sheet that can be found here to calculate each band’s score. All bands may perform up to 8 minutes; a penalty of 1 point for every 15 seconds over the time limit will be deducted from the bands total score. Bands will be awarded a maximum of 2 points for an original song. We encourage all bands to perform one original and one cover song.
Will my student’s teacher be there?
Our teachers are encouraged to attend the battle, but due to personal or work conflicts may not be able to attend. Teachers often have lessons scheduled during battle times.
How to get in touch with other band members?
Contact your site’s director for contact information of parents to the other members in your student’s band.
What should my child do when he/she arrives?
The student should go directly to the registration table to check in and meet with their band members.
In case of an emergency, who should I contact?
Please contact your local Bach to Rock staff in case of an emergency.
What do I need to bring to the Battle?
Bach to Rock will provide the backline equipment such as amps, pianos and microphones. Students should plan to bring their guitar and drum sticks. Also note that we need to be notified if a student is bringing special gear (pedal boards, synth…) a month prior to the event so that our stage managers can plan the day accordingly.
What if I have a question that isn’t answered here?
Please contact your local Bach to Rock site director for additional information.
April 20, 2020
Tickets will be available at the door on the day of the event. Tickets are $5. Please plan to arrive a few minutes early to purchase your tickets. Cash only.